Saturday, November 22, 2008

We Are Family

Here's a photo to warm the cockles of your heart (whatever those might be). A touching snapshot of a boy and his dog.

WTF?

Hold the phone, sister - that's not that boy's dog. That's MY dog!!

And that boy has his own dogs! He has Hayden:

And he has Jack!

Once upon a time, we were family, and Piper had all her brothers (and me).

Piper has to look twice as tough as she really is amongst all those boys; that's why she sits like a bulldog. Grrr. She's SO tough.

Can't you tell?

At least she can still outrun them.

Tweed was so happy to see his ex stepbrothers, as even though he lacks uppy-ears, they still let him be part of the gang.

I've missed my boys! Although, if I'm being honest, I suspect Hayden is clinically insane.

Also, he didn't seem like he missed me. Jack, OTOH, was ecstatic. He probably remembers how good I taste, and was waiting for the opportunity to take a bite out of me. Again.

Awww, Jack. I'm too smart to turn my back on you!

You know how when you go back and revisit something that you did, or who you were, you are sort of transported momentarily right back into that moment and you sort of live it all over again?

Do you think dogs experience that as well? We have not seen The Boy and His Dogs for a couple of years, at least. We arrived at Bridgeman a few minutes before they did, and when they met up with us, Piper was both excited, and confused. She behaved almost like she was lost, or guilty, and glued herself to The Boy's leg with her tail plastered to underbelly like she'd done something horribly wrong, or felt terrible. I wonder if she had a When World's Collide experience, doggy style?

She'd always had a crush on The Boy, and was his virtual slave.

"I'll carry your Chuck-It for you, Boy! Can I do anything else to make your day brighter?"
I have no idea what Tweed's doing here.

Maybe he had lost his mind.

The reunion family portraits didn't go as well as I'd hoped, mostly because a) Jack and Hayden no longer listen to me ("you're not my mum!") and b) Tweed was all NO TOUCHING!

And Woo was all "this photo is all about me. I'm going to take up as much of the frame as doggedly possible."

And then he just ... left.

Tweed was so excited about seeing The Boy and His Dogs that he was still in a euphoric mood when we got home. He was in such a good mood, that he even deigned to play with a somewhat skeptical Wootie.

But pretty soon he totally crashed.

And Mr. Woo, who didn't remember anyone in his old family, was like "Why'd you make me hang out with those whacknuts anyway?"

So I sat down to edit photos and Nutz said "Step away from my computer desk, bitch."

Christ! What a grump!

"Whatever could you possibly mean? I'm an ANGEL!"


11 comments:

Haley Poulos said...

Here's my strategy for reading TWAAW:
1- Read through post, looking at pictures AND reading the words.
2- Snort beer out of nose while laughing (it IS 5 o'clock... in the next time zone).
3- Scroll backwards through post, looking at pictures again, giggle at Piper's 'tude.
4- Repeat 1-3 a couple more times.
5- Feel like a geek for being so obsessed (in a good way, not a scary way) with dogs I've never met.

Kathleen said...

I always wondered what it was like to have a cat with a split personality.

Anonymous said...

OMG. I might love Nutz as much as Tweed. I seem to be just as excited to see her on the blog... I like the ones that keep us on our toes, personality wise.

Yes, I know the time warp feeling of colliding with past life. Every once in a while I have dreams populated by my ex-husband of 10 years whom I divorced 15 years ago. In my dream, I'm disturbed because I KNOW he's long gone and why is he in my dream anyway? I always wake up and make totally sure the last 11 years with Mr. Perfect are the true reality.

Molly said...

"You know how when you go back and revisit something that you did, or who you were, you are sort of transported momentarily right back into that moment and you sort of live it all over again?"

I think it's called situational regression, or something like that---it's why we turn into stupid teenagers around our high school friends (or, sometimes, 5-year-olds around our parents). Pretty interesting stuff, psychologically speaking!

Michelle said...

That Hayden has very compelling eyes!

Anonymous said...

Erhm, why is The Boy no longer a regular in your lives, if I may ask? Cuz that boy is Fiiiiii-iiiine!! Piper agrees with me! Yum! Almost better than Cookie Uncle. BTW...where is he lately? Great pics...I love Woo and his floofy tail.

The Border Collies said...

"Cuz that boy is Fiiiiii-iiiine!! Piper agrees with me! Yum!"

Yes ma'am, this is true. Shit, as they say, happens.

"Cookie Uncle. BTW...where is he lately?"

Cookie Uncle moved to a town far, far away. No seriously - he no longer lives in Vancouver proper, and is about 400 miles away. He is closer to Calgary than Vancouver!

Anonymous said...

I don't know why you are so down on the family photos...they are brilliant. Just like a bunch of elementary school kids, or the Royal Tenenbaums. None of this waspy-suppress-all-disfunctionality-and-stand-perfectly-still malarkey.

3aussiemom said...

What's Tweed doing in the pic? Clearly he's practicing his uppy ears.

Anonymous said...

I think Tweed has issues because he's wearing a pink collar. Unless of course he is the resident metrosexual as my dog Echo is. While his sister loves to run in the woods and dig into rabbit holes, he stands and or sits within 10 feet of her shanagans in order to keep his coat and paws clear or hackles or dirt of any sort.

The Border Collies said...

I think Tweed has issues because he's wearing a pink collar.

It's a hand-me-down from Piper, as he lost his beautiful purple and sparkly polka dotted one we bought at Target :(

Unless of course he is the resident metrosexual as my dog Echo is.

A little bit, yes! If he gets a twig in his pants, he gets quite panicky until it's gone. If he were a person, he'd be the guy dabbing seltzer water on the stain on his fancy silk tie!